You are here: Home / About Our Library / History / Library History

Library History

Read how this library was established and how it has evolved to become such an important part of our community.
History: Melcher-Dallas, A coal mining town.

The town of Anytown was founded by Ant Any when his wagon broke down on this site on his way to Kansas in 1876. The town was established by ordinance in 1881 with a population of 250 people.

Anytown is proud to have a city library which was established in 1921 by Mrs. Roger Imholt and Mrs. Carlin Miko who felt that the growing town needed a library for the betterment of the community. The Carnegie Foundation provided funds for the first library building. Books were purchased from money raised locally and donations from townspeople. Miss Violet Elliott was the first city librarian.

The library continued to add more items and eventually outgrew the original building. In 1966 the city raised the money to undertake an addition and remodel of the old Carnegie building. Mrs. Herman Potter was the librarian at that time.

The library has always kept pace with the new formats and programming. Audio cassettes with books and music were added in 1975. In 1981 the library added 25 new video cassettes. Today the library offers books on CD, music CDs, DVDs, computer software and of course books. The library has 11 public access computer stations. The staff has grown over the years and is now made up of 2 full-time and 4 part-time workers.

Interested in more history? Check out the Iowa Historical Society.

This resource is supported by the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by State Library of Iowa.